Find about what we're up to with regular updates
sign up now!
A marriage of architecture and art with an underlining social comment about the role of women in society, this is a contemporary look at the College of Domestic Economy designed by Robinson and Keefe in 1939. Established to further the education of women, this college was located on Cathal Brugha Street. Conservation architect Mary McDonald takes us on a descriptive tour of one of the capital’s wonderfully preserved examples of art deco architecture. Art historian Paula Murphy talks to us about renowned sculptor Gabriel Hayes and her striking Three Graces figurative sculpture that represents Sweeping, Cooking and Sewing – at the time deemed appropriate studies for women.
Director Bonnie Dempsey, Producer Aimie Gavin, Director of Photography Tom Comerford, Sound Recordist Susan Downey, Drone Photography Martin Osborne, Blaine Rennicks, Rerecording Mixer Nikki Moss, Editor Mike Foott, Executive Producer David O’Sullivan.
Contributors: Mary McDonald, Paula Murphy.
Special Thanks: Colum O’Riordan, Irish Architectural Archive, The Rehab Group, Department of Education, Mary McDonald, Paula Murphy, Dublin City Council, Emma Gilleece, D-Light Studios, TU Dublin, Fionnbharr O’ Riordain.
Irish Architecture Foundation 2021 © Produced by Dyehouse Films.
Opinions expressed are the contributors’ alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Irish Architecture Foundation or Dyehouse Films.
The Iveagh Market was designed and built by Frederick G. Hicks in 1906 and was in active use for most of the 20th century. In this rare insight into the Liberties iconic indoor market, we see the unsettling scenes of a dilapidated interior allowed to decay for twenty years and hear the call to action by the community to bring the building, once the social and commercial heart of the Liberties, back to its former glory.
Opened in 1902 and decommissioned in 1976, the vast ruin of the former Pigeon House Power Station is the largest protected structure in Ireland and one of the most striking industrial architecture complexes in the city. The building was designed by engineers and constantly modified to keep up with increasing electricity demand. It now holds a different kind of power, one of great cultural and social potential.