10th Annual Conference, All-Ireland Architecture Research Group
AIARG, Ulster University, Belfast, 2021
Registration is now open via the Ulster University online store – click here.
Thursday 21st January 2021
6.30pm – 7.30pm: Keynote speaker, Joan Copjec
Friday 22nd January 2021
9.30am – 10.30am: Welcome and conference introduction
10.30am – 12.30am: Panel 1 Politics, Policy and Agency 1.
Chair: Emmett Scanlon
- Alessandra Como + Luisa Smeragliuolo Perrotta (Salerno, Italy), Porocity: the rediscovery of porosity as a character of the architecture of the city
- Dr Saul Golden, Kieran Carlin + Professor Gerry Leavey (Belfast, Ireland), Urban universities as catalysts for regeneration strategies to benefit communities
- Miriam Fitzpatrick (Dublin, Ireland), Propinquity and the Social Life of the City
- Dr Gul Kacmaz Erk (Belfast, Ireland), Active Urbanism: clubbing in Berlin’s adapted buildings
- Colm O’Brien (Cork, Ireland), Public Space and the Elderly
10.30am – 12.30pm: Panel 2 Climate Change.
Chair: Professor Aoife Houlihan Wiberg
- Anup Kumar Prasad (Bengaluru, India), Crucial factors influencing climate change: alternative dimension
- Federica Appendino + Janet Hetman (Paris, France), Eco-neighbourhood in an historical city
- Helena Fitzgerald (Limerick, Ireland), CityXchange: infrastructure for innovation
- Martin Murray (Belfast, Ireland), Remaking our rural towns through energy conservation
- Rebecca McConnell (Belfast, Ireland), untitled – ‘A Wicked Problem’
- Shane Colclough (Dublin, Belfast, Ireland), Investment into Irish low-energy social housing retrofit
12.30pm – 1.30pm: Lunch break
1.30pm – 3.30pm: Panel 3 Politics, Policy and Agency 2.
Chair: Dr David Coyles
- Dr Ayoola + Amira Osman Akure, Nigeria + Pretoria, South Africa), Spatial Dimensions of Poverty in residential neighbourhoods
- Gareth Brennan (Dublin, Ireland), Marino
- Jack Lehane (Cork, Ireland), Towards post-occupancy applications for international participant based live projects
- Shane Sugrue (Cambridge, England), Speculating on the New World City: from coercion to curation in Brisbane’s West Village
- Weiqi Chu (Ohio, U.S.), Discover the Power of Government: Capital Model Prison
- Tebogo Ramatlo + Dr Alona Martinez Perez (Johannesburg, S Africa), Periphery
1.30pm – 3.30pm: Panel 4 Materials, Means and Media.
Chair: Professor Paul Clarke
- Jake Malone (Dublin, Ireland), The Rudimentary Wall
- Mark Shiel (London), RTÉ television centre in the organisational complex in 1960s Dublin
- Patrick Brennan (Dublin, Ireland), Br1cks and M0rtar
- Ryan Johnston (Belfast, Ireland), Digital Twins
- Sarah Mannion (Dublin, Ireland), untitled ‘Interpreting Ground’
3.30pm – 5.30pm: Panel 5 Education as Environment.
Chair: Dr Martina Murphy
- Courtney McIlkenny + Dr M Murphy (Belfast, Ireland), The Vertical Studio: reimagining propinquity
- Hirbod Norouzianpour (New Mexico, U.S.), Integrating Service-Learning Method into the curriculum of U.S. Architecture Schools
- Saiful Fazli Ramli +Dr Ibrahim Motawa (Glasgow, Scotland), HBIM Preventive Conservation Framework for historic timber buildings in Malaysia
- Sarah Mulrooney + (Cork, Ireland), Making Design POP
- Dougal Sheridan + Deirdre McMenamin (Berlin, Germany), Reflections on collaborative configurations
- Dr Silpa Singarajwarapan + Dr Ibrahim Motawa (Glasgow), BIM-based Building Code Compliance Systems
5.30pm – 6.00pm: Conference close