Find about what we're up to with regular updates
sign up now!
Dublin-based O’Daly Architects has been chosen as the winner of an international architectural competition to design a Chapel to commemorate the 232 people who died in the 1916 Easter Week Rising and who were interred in Glasnevin Cemetery.
The competition was organised by the RIAI on behalf of the Glasnevin Trust, part the non-denominational Dublin Cemeteries Committee, the body which administers Glasnevin Cemetery. It is planned to have the project completed for, and officially opened, during the Easter 2016 Centenary celebrations.
Glasnevin Trust has decided, in recognition of the international aspect, size and quality of the responses, to make four additional premiated awards: one second place and three highly commended entries.
Winner: O’Daly Architects
Second Place: David Jameson, MRIAI; Paul Fox, MRIAI; Rose Bonner, MRIAI
Highly Commended: Cian Deegan, MRIAI; Alice Casey, TAKA, Dublin; Ralph Bingham, MRIAI, MOLA Architecture, Dublin; Andrew Weston, RIBA, Weston Williamson + Partners, London
An exhibition of the Glasnevin 1916 Centenary Chapel competition – winner, shortlist and all 128 entries – is now open in the RIAI Mon-Fri, 9.30-17h.
The competition, launched last September, attracted 129 entries of a remarkably high standard, from architects throughout the world. The promoters and judging panel were extremely impressed by the quality of the premiated schemes selected following a rigorous assessment process. The winning entry receives an award of €10,000.
The building cost of the project is estimated at between €3.0 and €3.5 million and will be funded partially by the Dublin Cemeteries Committee. In addition Government Funding is being sought and the committee has commenced fund raising activities through philanthropic sources.
The Judging Panel was made up of:
Des McMahon, (Chairperson), Gilroy McMahon Architects
Paddy Fletcher, A&D Wejchert Architects
John Green, Chairman, Glasnevin Trust
John Watson, Board Member, Glasnevin Trust
George McCullough, Chief Executive, Glasnevin Trust
O’Daly Architects was founded in 1989 by Tony O’Daly and Geraldine Byrne O’Daly. Both had worked in the Office of Public Works on a wide variety of projects, from the design of new Government offices, the renovation of the National Concert Hall, design of new schools, office fit-outs and conservation and restoration of on-going works at Muckross House Killarney, Derrynane Abbey and Kilkenny Castle.
The practice has worked on new housing design, residential refurbishment, office fit-outs and the conservation and restoration of protected structures. Geraldine completed the conservation induction module in 2003 and a Masters in Architectural Science degree in 2007.
Competition for Glasnevin is NOT an IAF event and is delivered by RIAI for more information please visit this website.